Career Planning Resources
Make the most of your life. Use these resources to provide insights into your strengths, aspirations and abilities, and to plan your career goals.
You will find career planning resources that are:
- CAREERinsite – guides you through the four steps of career planning: Know Yourself, Explore Options, Get Ready, Take Action. Allows you to sign up, create your own account and save your results as you move through these steps. Includes self assessment quizzes, inventories, occupational decision-making tools and much more.
- Career Development Decision Making Model – helps guide you through the process of lifelong career planning.
- Career Exploration – looks at your skills and interests, the world of work, making a plan and managing your career.
- Steps to Career/Life Planning – takes you through all the steps in the career planning process.
- The Essential Skills Profiles – learn more about the skills needed for different jobs
- Working in Canada – has detailed information on occupations including job opportunities and demand, wages, skills requirements and more. Includes a Skills and Knowledge checklist.
Youth and Young Adults
- Guiding Circles – Aboriginal guide to creating a fulfilling career path.
This self-exploration package combines traditional teachings with contemporary career development exercises to help Aboriginal youth realize their true career potential.
- NextSteps – employment, career development and job finding resources for Calgary youth.
- Career Options Magazine – supports the transition of post-secondary students into their chosen work.
Adults With Low Literacy
Educators, Counsellors and Others
- What Works: Career-Building Strategies for People From Diverse Groups – find strength-based career counselling information for specific groups such as Aboriginal peoples, immigrants and persons with disabilities. Provides work search and employment support strategies and references to additional resources.
- Easy Reading Career Planning Series: Help for Career Advisors – get occupational and career planning resources for adults with a Grade 2 to 3 reading level. Includes 2 career planning workbooks, 24 job profiles, a job profile dictionary and related guides for advisors.
- Publications – find career resources including books, magazines and posters.
- Career Events in Alberta – learn about employer connections, job fairs and other current events in your area.
- Career Development Association of Alberta (CDAA) – learn more about how the CDAA is advancing the career development profession in Alberta.
- Career Development-Manitoba – provides links to career planning and job search tools for youth, young adults, older workers, newcomers, entrepreneurs and job seekers in Manitoba.
- Blueprint for Life/Work Designs – maps out the life/work competencies Canadians need to proactively manage their career building process.
- Essential Skills Profiles Essential Skills are the skills needed for work, learning and life. This Government of Canada resource describes how the nine Essential Skills are used by workers in over 250 occupations.