Are you just beginning your career planning? Do you want to change your current job? Are you looking for a new line of work? Are you concerned about training in one area now, only to learn that your line of work may no longer be needed a few years from now?
If so, you will want to learn as much as you can about occupations so that you can make good decisions and take the right action on your career or job search.
What is an occupation? How does it differ from a job?
An occupation is a specific category of work that has many similar jobs within it. To work in a particular occupation, you need certain training, skills and knowledge.
Occupational information will help you learn more about specific occupations, including
- what you might like about working in this area
- what day-to-day work might be like
- the type of work that suits you
- the training or education you'll need
- future job trends, opportunities and demands
- where to search for a specific job in related industries
- salaries and wages you'll likely earn
- what companies or industries are hiring
- what it's like to work for specific companies or industries.
In this section, you will find some helpful resources about occupations and jobs: