A number of post-secondary schools across Alberta offer programs for Indigenous Peoples.
First Nations, Métis, and Inuit education offer education and training in an environment that includes culturally relevant programming, counselling services and access to Elders. You can access these through a variety of Indigenous learning providers.
See these videos of students attending Indigenous colleges:
First Nations Colleges in Alberta
- Maskwacis Cultural College
- Old Sun Community College
- Red Crow Community College
- University nuhelot’įne thaiyots’į nistameyimâkanak Blue Quills
- Yellowhead Tribal College
Post-secondary programs for Indigenous Peoples
Colleges, technical schools and universities offer programs for Indigenous Peoples:
- Find out about programs for Indigenous Peoples at Alberta post-secondary schools. Visit Post-Secondary Programs at OCCinfo and search using the keyword "Indigenous" or "Aboriginal."
- Check out transition year programs, which prepare Indigenous students from a variety of educational backgrounds to enter university faculties and programs:
- Find out about the Aboriginal Studies programs offered by several universities.
- Explore funding and learning opportunities for northern Indigenous communities at Learning Communities.
Other certificate, diploma, and degree programs
- Check out the wide range of programs at Alberta post-secondary schools.
- Find educational program information for hundreds of schools and programs at OCCinfo.
Indigenous Peoples student services
Many post-secondary schools in urban centres provide resources and gathering places for Indigenous students:
- Bow Valley College Iniikokaan Centre
- Grande Prairie Regional College Services for Indigenous Students
- Grant MacEwan University kihêw waciston
- Lethbridge College Indigenous Services
- Mount Royal University Iniskim Centre
- NAIT Nîsôhkamâtotân Centre
- Norquest College Indigenous Student Services
- Red Deer Polytechnic Indigenous Student Services
- SAIT Chinook Lodge Resource Centre
- University of Alberta First Peoples' House
- University of Calgary Writing Symbols Lodge
- University of Lethbridge Iikaisskini Gathering Place
The Ben Calf Robe Society Northern Student Education Initiative helps Indigenous post-secondary students from the Northwest Territories and Nunavut make the transition to student life in the Edmonton area.
Distance learning lets you learn outside of a classroom, using online, print, video and/or other resources. You can study at your own pace, in your own community to complete a single course or a whole program, from a certificate to a graduate degree: