Work you enjoy, that uses your skills and experiences, takes time and focus but it’s worth the effort. Check out these resources for ideas and information about where and how to look for work.
Employment and training supports for Indigenous Peoples
- Aboriginal Futures (Calgary)—assisting urban Aboriginal people in the enhancement of employment skills, creating the opportunity for self-sufficiency and independence.
- Oteenow Employment and Training Society (Edmonton)—helps match First Nations & Inuit workers to jobs in a wide range of employment sectors.
- Rupertsland Institute - Training Opportunities—upcoming Métis employment and training projects currently recruiting clients.
- Saamis Aboriginal Employment & Training Association (Medicine Hat, Lethbridge)—contracted by Treaty 7 and Métis Nation of Alberta to facilitate quality career & employment opportunities, provide career counseling services and help in accessing funding for various training programs.
Job boards and recruitment for Indigenous job seekers
- Alberta Aboriginal Training and Jobs—Government of Alberta Facebook page
- Aboriginal Careers.ca—links to websites useful to Indigenous job seekers.
- Aboriginal Job Board—nation-wide listings published by the Aboriginal Multi-Media Society
- Canada Job Bank - Aboriginal Jobs in Alberta—job postings from employers seeking aboriginal workers
- Canadian Forces Aboriginal Entry Program—facilitating the enrolment of Aboriginal People in the armed forces
- Education Canada Network - First Nations Employers—opportunities in First Nations education regions/districts across Canada
- First Nations Jobs Online—recruitment website for First Nations, Métis and Inuit job seekers nationwide
- Inclusion Network: Canada’s National Aboriginal Job Site—a fast growing network of Aboriginal job seekers and inclusive employers
- Spirit Staffing and Consulting—inclusive recruitment and training agency in Edmonton and Calgary
Internships for Indigenous students and graduates
- Aboriginal Summer Student Internship Program—Business Development Bank of Canada program for Indigenous students with at least one year of college or university
- Bold Eagle Program—summer training and employment program for youth, combining cultural awareness and military training
- Government of Alberta—internships in a variety of areas such as communication, engineering, policy, finance, agriculture, health and human resources, including Indigenous Relations
- International Aboriginal Youth Internships Initiative—opportunities to gain skills and experience working in a developing country
- RCMP Aboriginal Pre-Cadet Training Program—summer training and employment opportunities in police support services in your home community
- Check out some of the other internship possibilities available:
Other work search resources
Additional work search resources for Albertans include:
- Alberta Job Postings—job postings in Alberta
- Alberta Career Information Hotline—help with application forms, references and resumés and access to other work search resources
- Resumé Review Service—Free Alberta Career Information Hotline assistance with your resumé
- Job Seekers—links to information for every stage of work search
- Alberta Works and Alberta Supports centres—locations across the province provide career and employment services to help with career planning, work search and job maintenance
- Work Search in Rural Alberta—tips for finding work in rural communities.