Browsing an employer’s or organization’s website can give you access to newsletters, blogs and other useful information. This could help you find work or prepare for your interview. It could also help you keep up with what's happening in your field.
Here are some tips to help you use employer websites effectively.
- Bookmark the website so you can easily find it again.
- Join and register so you can access the members only area of the website.
- Subscribe to email or RSS feeds of newsletters and blogs. This will keep you up–to–date on events, people and new developments in your field.
- Look for features and events that could be useful to you. These might include mentoring activities or business open houses.
- Join discussion groups and forums, or follow a blog and post comments. Keep the following rules in mind when you’re posting online:
- Read and follow the participation rules.
- Start slowly and observe. Get a feel for the discussion before you post a message.
- Always be courteous and professional in your postings.
- Stay on topic when you post.
- Double–check your spelling and grammar. Errors do matter in business correspondence.
- Ask thoughtful questions to initiate contact with experienced colleagues.