Once you’ve created your resumé master, you can tailor each new resumé to fit the job you’re applying for. This custom-built approach will increase your chances of getting an interview.
Tailoring your resumé means highlighting the qualifications a specific employer needs. This shows the employer you have the skills, experience, and training to succeed. You’re also demonstrating that you place a high priority on the employer’s needs.
Tips for tailoring your resumé
- Learn as much as you can about the employer. This will help you understand what the employer needs from the job.
- Analyze the job requirements from the employer’s point of view.
- Identify your most relevant skills and training.
- Choose the resumé type that will best highlight your skills and training.
- Study the job posting carefully. Describe how you fit the job using the same keywords and phrases that are used in the ad or posting.