Tailoring your resumé to fit each job you apply for increases your chances of getting an interview.
Tailoring your resumé means highlighting relevant qualifications to show a specific employer that you have the skills, experience and training to succeed in a particular job. Taking the time to do this demonstrates that you place a high priority on the employer’s needs.
Tips for tailoring your resumé
The approach you take to tailoring your resumé will vary depending on
- the occupation or industry you want to work in
- the qualifications you want to emphasize
Following these steps is a good start:
- Learn as much as you can about the employer. This will help you understand the job requirements from the employer’s point of view.
- Analyze the job requirements from the employer’s point of view.
- Identify your most relevant qualifications.
- Choose the resumé type that will best highlight your qualifications.
- Study the job ad or posting carefully. Describe your qualifications in keywords and phrases that are the same or similar to those used in the ad or posting.