Look For Work
Keywords are descriptive words and phrases included in your resumé to show an employer that you
- have studied a certain subject
- have earned a certain credential (for example, a diploma)
- are familiar with a particular industry or sector
- know how to use specific kinds of tools (for example, a software program or tower crane)
- have certain types of skills (for example, project management or materials handling)
Using appropriate keywords in your online resumé ensures that
- employers and recruiters will find your posted resumé when they search job search websites by keyword
- your resumé will not be screened out during a keyword screening, either by a person or a software program
What keywords should you use?
- Use the words and phrases that appear in the job ad or posting. You can also use synonyms (other words with the same meaning).
- Look for keywords in the job description posted on the employer’s website for keywords or position profile if available. Browse the website for other keywords.
- Visit other websites in your industry or sector to find common keywords.
- Check out the keywords used in other ads for similar positions.
- Talk to people in the industry or organization and ask them about standard qualifications.
Was this page useful?