Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992


The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted legislation and services. Information on this website may not reflect the current situation in Alberta. Please visit for up-to-date information about these impacts.

Business, Finance and Real Estate

Real Estate Associate or Broker

Real estate associates help clients sell or purchase properties such as houses, condominiums, commercial buildings, land and other real estate.


Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA)
350, 4954 Richard Road SW
Calgary, Alberta T3E 6L1
Phone: 403-228-2954
Toll-free: 1-888-425-2754
Fax: 403-228-3065


Real Estate Associate and Real Estate Broker are protected titles under Alberta's Real Estate Act (PDF), associated regulations and Rules. This means that to call yourself a Real Estate Associate or Real Estate Broker, you must be registered with the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA).

What You Need

Real estate associates must

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • be proficient in English
  • have a Canadian high school diploma or equivalent
  • be a Canadian citizen or have a Permanent Resident card or work permit with no study restrictions
  • successfully complete the Real Estate Associates Program (REAP) and any other mandatory pre-licensing courses
  • submit a certified criminal record check to RECA
  • secure employment with a real estate brokerage
  • apply for licensing and registration with RECA through that brokerage.

The Real Estate Associates Program may be taken online through RECA. Additional education and experience is required to become a real estate broker. For detailed official information about REAP enrolment requirements, contact the regulatory authority below.

Working in Alberta

Real estate associates and brokers who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered associates and brokers in the 2 jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory? and the Alberta regulatory authority below.

Was this page useful?