When you know yourself, you can plan your career and education based on what's important to you: your interests, abilities, values and experiences.
Grant MacEwan Universitywww.macewan.ca
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences - ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centred teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The university provides a transformative education in a collaborative and supportive environment where creativity and innovation thrive. Faculties focus on teaching, and many are also engaged in ground-breaking, internationally-recognized research and scholarly and artistic activity that enhances their teaching and the curriculum - and creates opportunities for student involvement in research.
The university offers a broad complement of programs comprised of bachelor and applied degrees, diplomas and certificates. Faculties and schools offer programming in fine arts and communications; health and community studies; liberal arts and sciences; and business.
Program Type Occupational
Credential Type Diploma
Length 3 Years
- Part Time Only
- Cooperative Education
- Continuing Education
- Distance Learning
CATEGORIES OF ADMISSION
Applicants may be admitted through one of the following:
- Regular Admission*
- Mature Admission*
- Previous Post-Secondary Work
- English Language Proficiency
- Other Admission Criteria
To be evaluated through the Office of the University Registrar, applicants must have:
1. a) An Alberta high school diploma (or equivalent) and ELA 30-1 or ELA 30-2.
b) A minimum overall average of 60 percent, with no course grade lower than 50 percent, in the following high school courses:
- ELA 30-1 or ELA 30-2
- One Group A course
- One Group B or C course
- One Group C or D course
2. Applicants must complete the Skills Appraisal (see below).
To be evaluated through the Office of the University Registrar, applicants must:
- Be 20 years of age or older
- Have been out of full-time high school at least one year by the beginning of the intake term
Applicants must complete the Skills Appraisal (see below).
Previous Post-Secondary Work
To be evaluated through the Office of the University Registrar.
Applicants must have successfully completed one of the following from a recognized institution:
- A post-secondary Certificate, Diploma, Applied Degree or Degree
- A minimum of 18 university-level credits with a minimum Admission Grade Point Average (AGPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale AND must have completed the required core courses listed under the Regular or Mature category.
Admission in this category does not imply or guarantee the transfer of any course work and/or credential unless a block transfer agreement (internal or external) is in effect and published in the calendar by the Office of the University Registrar. In addition, transfer of course work does not imply or guarantee that an applicant will be admitted.
ADDITIONAL ADMISSION CRITERIA
English Language Proficiency
English Language Proficiency will be evaluated through the Office of the University Registrar.
All applicants must meet an acceptable level of English language proficiency. We will require official documents such as one of the following:
- High school transcripts
- Post-secondary transcripts
- Proof of successful completion of standardized language evaluation
Full details are available in MacEwan University’s academic calendar or online at MacEwan.ca/ELP.
Other Admission Criteria
Other Admission Criteria will be evaluated through the Program.
Applicants are required to submit a Portfolio and a Statement of Intent to a committee of Design Studies faculty.
The Portfolio shall consist of an original body of work.
Successful applicants will demonstrate in their Statement of Intent:
- The ability to express ideas well in writing.
- How this MacEwan University program is aligned with their interests and goals.
- An interest in learning about design theory and practice.
To be evaluated through the Office of the University Registrar. Skills Appraisal is applicable only to applicants under the Regular Admission or Mature Admission category.!span>
Unless otherwise specified, identified Skills Appraisal requirements must be completed by the beginning of the intake term.
Applicants must complete the Skills Appraisal only if they do not present ELA 30-1 with a minimum grade of 65 percent or ELA 30-2 with a minimum grade of 75 percent.
Applicants must pass the writing portion AND be eligible to enter ENGL 111 OR complete any developmental course work with a minimum grade of C-.!span>
Applicants must pass the reading portion OR complete any developmental course work with a minimum grade of C-.!span>
This program is eligible for full-time post-secondary assistance by Student Aid Alberta for the funding year 2017/08/01 to 2018/07/31*.
Tuition $4,020.00 Year One
Books/Supplies/Instruments $2,770.00 Year One
Mandatory Fees $1,161.00 Year One
* Tuition, books, supplies, instruments, and other/mandatory fees are provided to Student Aid Alberta and may be used when processing full-time post-secondary funding applications. The educational costs provided are based on a 100% full-course load and may not reflect current or all educational costs charged by the school. Contact the school to obtain accurate educational cost information.
Search Transfer Alberta for course and program transfer information including transfer agreements between post-secondary schools in Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.
Transfer(s) available outside of Transfer Alberta: Not available
Updated October 03, 2017. The information contained in this profile is current as of the date shown.
Educational program information is provided as an introduction and for general reference. For current information about programs and school requirements or policies, check the school calendar, visit their website or contact the school directly.
The Government of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.