When you know yourself, you can plan your career and education based on what's important to you: your interests, abilities, values and experiences.
Practical Nurse Practical Nursing
Education is your key to a better quality of life, benefitting not only you, but also the community in which you live and work. Empowered by education, you can broaden your knowledge, increase your job opportunities, and enhance your productivity and job satisfaction. As Alberta's largest community college, NorQuest College is proud to offer a strong selection of post-secondary diploma and certificate programs that lead to in-demand careers. Our career studies include health, human services, and business. We also offer foundational learning opportunities that include academic upgrading, adult literacy, employment readiness, and English as a second language education. At NorQuest, you will acquire the advanced skills required in increasingly complex workplaces. Our committed, supportive, and skilled faculty and staff will help you achieve your career and life goals. We want you to hit the ground running when you graduate so you can meet the immediate and long-term job needs of business and industry. We're proud that 95 per cent of our graduates find employment or continue their education.!SPAN>
Satellite Campuses or Offices!SPAN>!SPAN>
Drayton Valley, Stony Plain, Wetaskiwin, Whitecourt!SPAN>
Program Type Occupational
Credential Type Diploma
Length 2 Years
- Part Time Only
- Cooperative Education
- Continuing Education
- Distance Learning Available
- 60% in English Language Arts 30-1 or 70% in English Language Arts 30-2 or equivalent
- 60% in Biology 30 or equivalent
- 60% in Mathematics 20-1 (Pure Mathematics 20) or 70% in Mathematics 20-2 (Applied Mathematics 20) or 50% in Mathematics 30-1 (Pure Mathematics 30) or 60% in Mathematics 30-2 (Applied Mathematics 30) or equivalent (Grade of 60% in NorQuest's MATH1524)*
*Note: If it has been 10 or more years since you completed Mathematics courses (i.e. Math 10, 20, 30 or Math 13, 23, 33), you will be required to complete a skills assessment, take a challenge exam, or complete upgrading to meet the Math requirement for this program.
Note: It is strongly recommended that students take the following courses prior to entering the program: ENGL2550, ANPH1001, ANPH1002, SOCI1000, and PSYC1060. You will receive advanced standing in the Practical Nurse Program upon successful completion of these courses. These courses can be taken as Open Studies courses at NorQuest College.
Practical Nurse Online applicants only:
- All admission requirements noted
- A minimum of C- (60%) in Anatomy and Physiology I (ANPH1001) and Anatomy and Physiology II (ANPH1002)
Practical Nurse for Health Care Aides applicants only:
- All admission requirements noted
- A minimum of C- (60%) in ANPH 1001 (Anatomy and Physiology I) and ANPH 1002 (Anatomy and Physiology II)
- Graduate of an Alberta Provincial Standard Health Care Aide program or equivalent
- Documentary evidence (e.g., a letter from the agency or employer involved) of having completed at least 500 voluntary and/or paid work hours in the health care aide field working as a health care aide
English Language Proficiency
If English is your second language, you must provide proof of English language proficiency (ELP) prior to admission. ELP must have been completed within two years prior to application to the program. Acceptable evidence of ELP may be one of the following:
- IELTS Academic, no score below 7.5 in listening, 6.5 in reading, 7.0 in writing, and 7.0 in speaking
- TOEFL iBT overall score of 94
- CELBAN, no score below 10 in listening, 8 in reading, 7 in writing, 8 in speaking
- Completion of ESLG 1860 and ESLG 1861 with a minimum 50%
Note: Meeting the English language proficiency requirement does NOT exempt the applicant from meeting the English academic course work required for admission to this program.Practicum Requirements
The following are not required for admission purposes, but will be required before you attend the first clinical practice:
- Successful completion of all prerequisite courses
- WHMIS (XBUS 1017) certificate current within 3 years
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health-Care Providers (XHLT 1200) certificate
- It's Your Move (XHLT 1070) certificate current within 1 year
- Human Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure (XHLT 1023) certificate current within 3 years
- Alberta Health Services (AHS) Information & Privacy online learning module
- Up-to-date immunizations
- Clear Police Information Check dated within 90 days of the collection date; must include a vulnerable sector search if older than 18 years of age*
- N95 Mask Fit testing; current within 2 years
- HSPNet information sheet
*Note: Internet (online) Police Information Checks are not accepted by the college. Please contact your local law enforcement agency directly to obtain an official Police Information Check. The existence of a criminal record may prevent clinical placement, program completion, and professional licensure and therefore may affect employment prospects. Prospective students who have a criminal record should discuss the matter with the Program Chair prior to applying for admission.
Full-time and Part-time face to face and Online Education
This program is eligible for full-time post-secondary assistance by Student Aid Alberta for the funding year 2017/08/01 to 2018/07/31*.
Tuition $6,307.00 Year One
Books/Supplies/Instruments $4,529.00 Year One
Mandatory Fees $2,201.00 Year One
* Tuition, books, supplies, instruments, and other/mandatory fees are provided to Alberta Student Aid and may be used when processing full-time post-secondary funding applications. The educational costs provided are based on a 100% full-course load and may not reflect current or all educational costs charged by the school. Contact the school to obtain accurate educational cost information.
Search Transfer Alberta for course and program transfer information including transfer agreements between post-secondary schools in Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.
Transfer(s) available outside of Transfer Alberta: Not available
Updated September 08, 2017. The information contained in this profile is current as of the date shown.
Educational program information is provided as an introduction and for general reference. For current information about programs and school requirements or policies, check the school calendar, visit their website or contact the school directly.