Education is your key to a better quality of life, benefitting not only you, but also the community in which you live and work. Empowered by education, you can broaden your knowledge, increase your job opportunities, and enhance your productivity and job satisfaction. As Alberta's largest community college, NorQuest College is proud to offer a strong selection of post-secondary diploma and certificate programs that lead to in-demand careers. Our career studies include health, human services, and business. We also offer foundational learning opportunities that include academic upgrading, adult literacy, employment readiness, and English as a second language education. At NorQuest, you will acquire the advanced skills required in increasingly complex workplaces. Our committed, supportive, and skilled faculty and staff will help you achieve your career and life goals. We want you to hit the ground running when you graduate so you can meet the immediate and long-term job needs of business and industry. We're proud that 95 per cent of our graduates find employment or continue their education.!SPAN>
Satellite Campuses or Offices!SPAN>!SPAN>
Drayton Valley, Stony Plain, Wetaskiwin, Whitecourt!SPAN>
Program Type Occupational
Credential Type Certificate
Length 1 Year or Less
- Part Time Only
- Cooperative Education
- Continuing Education
- Distance Learning Available
- 50% in English Language Arts 30-1 or 70% in English Language Arts 30-2 or equivalent
- 50% in Biology 30 or equivalent
If English is your second language, you must provide proof of English language proficiency (ELP) prior to admission. ELP must have been completed within two years prior to application to the program. Acceptable evidence of ELP may be one of the following:
- CLBA overall score of 8, no section score below 7
- CELPIP General overall score of 8, no section score below 7
- TOEFL iBT overall score of 84, no section score below 21
- IELTS Academic overall score of 6.5, no section score below 6.0
- CAEL overall score of 60, no section score below 60
- Completion of ESLS 8000/ESLS 8100 amd ESLW 8000/ESLW 8100 with a minimum 80%
- Completion of ESLG 1860 and ESLG 1861 with a minium 50%
Note: Meeting the English language proficiency requirement does not exempt the applicant from meeting the English academic course work required for admission to this program.
The following are not required for admission purposes, but will be required before you attend your practicum:
- Successful completion of all prerequisite courses
- Successful completion of a pre-practicum assessment (written and practical)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health-Care Providers (XHLT 1200) certificate
- It's Your Move (XHLT 1070)
- Alberta Health Services (AHS) Information & Privacy online learning module
- Up-to-date immunizations
- Clear Police Information Check dated within 90 days of the collection date; must include vulnerable sector search if older than 18 years of age*
- HSPNet information sheet
*Note: Internet (online) Police Information Checks are not accepted by the college. Please contact your local law enforcement agency directly to obtain an official Police Information Check. The existence of a criminal record may prevent clinical placement, program completion, and professional licensure and therefore may affect employment prospects. Prospective students who have a criminal record should discuss the matter with the Program Chair prior to applying for admission.
Full-time on campus and online education
This program is eligible for full-time post-secondary assistance by Student Aid Alberta for the funding year 2017/08/01 to 2018/07/31*.
Tuition $4,879.00 Year One
Books/Supplies/Instruments $2,372.00 Year One
Mandatory Fees $1,570.00 Year One
* Tuition, books, supplies, instruments, and other/mandatory fees are provided to Student Aid Alberta and may be used when processing full-time post-secondary funding applications. The educational costs provided are based on a 100% full-course load and may not reflect current or all educational costs charged by the school. Contact the school to obtain accurate educational cost information.
Transfer(s) available outside of Transfer Alberta: Not available
Updated September 08, 2017. The information contained in this profile is current as of the date shown.
The Government of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.