At work you want to be noticed for all the right reasons. The most effective way to do this is to show your employer every day that hiring you was a great decision!
To attract positive attention and succeed at work, try some of these practical strategies:
- Be reliable and dependable.
- Show up on time for every shift you’re scheduled for. Call in or send an email or text message well ahead of time if you must be late or absent. Try to be absent as little as possible.
- Be on time, whether you’re arriving for work, returning from breaks, going to staff meetings or completing tasks.
- Be prepared. Come to work willing to pay attention, follow directions and do the job.
- Do what you say you'll do.
- Stay organized and keep your work area tidy. This habit shows your supervisor that you're in control of what you're doing.
- Do your best. Check the quality of your own work.
- Be proactive.
- Take responsibility for what you do. Taking responsibility includes being accountable for any mistakes you make.
- Learn all you can about the organization and your role.
- Learn how to do all the tasks that are part of your role.
- Take initiative. Contribute without being asked. Just make sure you're not stepping on someone else's toes.
- Learn a skill that will help you stand out. For example, become the person everyone goes to when they need something proofread or when they need help with a computer program.
- Be a team player.
- Take on the task that needs to be done.
- Team players work effectively with others to achieve common goals, whether or not the task is part of their job description.
- Jump at the chance to help a co–worker on a project. You’ll learn something new and gain a reputation as a helpful employee, too.
- Share information and resources.
- Support and encourage your co–workers.
- Respect your co–workers’ diversity of opinions and experiences.
- Be flexible and adaptable.
- Be aware that you can’t control everything.
- Be ready and willing to compromise.
- Be prepared for the unexpected.
- Keep learning. It will help you handle change.
- Be appropriate.
- Work safely. Know the health and safety hazards and regulations in your workplace.
- Dress appropriately for the work you’ve been hired to do.
- Be courteous. Treat others as you would like to be treated.
- Ask for help when you need it. Recognizing your limits is a sign of personal strength and maturity.
- Live up to your values. Be truthful and honest. Maintain your integrity.
- Be positive.
- Show respect for yourself and others.
- Be enthusiastic about your work. Believe in your ability to do the job well.
- Smile and be friendly.
- Expect positive results.
Stand out at work and build your career options
Working is about more than simply getting the job done. It’s also about building and keeping a solid reputation and positive relationships in the workplace. Doing your best will help you feel satisfied and fulfilled every day.
When you shine at work, you’re also investing in your future. Your employer will appreciate your efforts, opening the door to advancement or a glowing reference when it’s time for you to move on.