Dear Working Wise,
I just graduated from high school, but I still don’t know what I want to do for a career. I didn’t apply for university because I didn’t want to waste my time or money, but I know I need to do something. Is there any career-planning help for students?
Signed, Need a Plan
July 13, 2016
Dear Need a Plan,
There are different resources to find the career-planning help that you’re looking for.
- There are a number of free career and employment programs for young Albertans in communities across the province. You can search online or connect with your local Alberta Works Centre to find out what’s available in your community or check out the Employment, Training and Career Services directories for Calgary and Edmonton.
- You can call the Career Information Hotline, toll-free at 1-800-661-3753 (780-422-4266 in Edmonton) to speak with a career counsellor.
- The ALIS website is a one-stop career and education portal. ALIS offers helpful career and education planning information and services for high-school students, post-secondary students, career explorers, and job seekers.
You may find ALIS’s CAREERinsite website helpful. CAREERinsite walks you through the career planning process of getting to know yourself, evaluating your options, creating a plan and taking action.
You might also want to check out ALIS’s MyWorkQuest. MyWorkQuest is a mobile-friendly question-and-answer website focused on youth employment. If you're graduating from school, looking for your first job or just thinking about what you want to do with your future, MyWorkQuest can help.
MyWorkQuest features helpful questions and answers about career planning, choosing a post-secondary program, and finding a job, including:
- Help! I don’t know what to do with the rest of my life. Where should I start?
- Is there somewhere I can turn to talk about my future?
- Is finding the work I like as hard as people say it is?
- How do I know I will be successful in my career?
- How do I start planning my career right now?
- How do I find a job if I have no experience?
- What's out there to help me look for a job?
- What jobs are in demand in Alberta?
You can also submit your own question. A career counsellor will respond to your question via email. And, if your question is useful for others, a version of your question may even be added to MyWorkQuest.
Photo Credit: © iStockphoto/g_studio