Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992


The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted legislation and services. Information on this website may not reflect the current situation in Alberta. Please visit for up-to-date information about these impacts.

Business, Finance and Real Estate


Chartered Professional Accountants provide financial reporting and consulting services for organizations and individuals.

As of July 1, 2015 Alberta's 3 regulated accounting designations, Chartered Accountants, Certified General Accountants and Certified Management Accountants, have been merged into a single designation, Chartered Professional Accountant.


CPA Alberta
580 Manulife Place, 10180 - 101 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada T5J 4R2
Phone number: 1-800-232-9406


Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) is a protected title under Alberta's Chartered Professional Accountants Act and Chartered Professional Accountants Regulation. This means that to call yourself a Chartered Professional Accountant, you must be a registered member of the Chartered Professional Accountants of Alberta (CPA Alberta). You do not have to be registered with CPA Alberta if you do not call yourself a Chartered Professional Accountant; however, you must be registered to provide professional accounting services, such as audits or review engagements.

All CPAs who are members in good standing with CPA Alberta and were previously registered as Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified General Accountant (CGA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) can continue to use their previous designations.

What You Need

Registration requires: (1) a bachelor's degree (in any discipline) with specific subject area coverage, (2) successful completion of the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP) which includes on-line facilitated learning modules and group interactive learning sessions with facilitators, (3) successful completion of relevant practical work experience, and (4) successful completion of the Common Final Examination (CFE). For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the Chartered Professional Accountants Western School of Business (CPAWSB) website at or call CPAWSB at 1-866-420-2350.

For more information regarding transferring from CGA, CA and CMA into CPA PEP or becoming a CPA, visit the CPA Alberta website.

Working in Alberta

Chartered Professional Accountant who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if CPAs in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory? and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

To learn about certification for internationally educated accountants, see Chartered Professional Accountant Certification Process.

Was this page useful?