Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology


Blasters place and detonate explosives. They may work in the oil and gas, mining, quarrying or construction industries.


Occupational Health and Safety Policy and Program Development 
Alberta Labour
8th Floor, Labour Building
10808 - 99 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 0G5
Phone number: 780-415-8690 
Toll-free phone number (within Alberta): 1-866-415-8690  
Fax number: 780-422-0014


Under Alberta's Occupational Health and Safety Regulation and Occupational Health and Safety Code, anyone who handles, prepares, fires, burns or destroys an explosive for non-mining work must hold a valid Blaster permit. For conducting blasting operations in a mine, you must have a Surface Mine Blaster certificate or Underground Mine Blaster certificate (depending on the nature of the mine). Blaster permits and Mine Blaster certificates are issued by Alberta Labour.

What You Need

To qualify for a non-mining Blaster permit, you must: be at least 18-years of age and have completed an approved course, or have 6 months of experience, and a recommendation from your employer.

To qualify for a Surface Mine Blaster or Underground Mine Blaster certificate, you must: (1) have at least 3 years of experience in a related surface or underground mining environment, (2) submit a valid First Aid certificate, (3) submit written evidence that you have received adequate instruction and training under the direction of a certified mine blaster, (4) pass a written exam administered by the Board of Examiners - Mining, and (5) submit a letter of recommendation from your employer.

Working in Alberta

Blasters who are certified by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for certification in Alberta if certified blasters in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory? and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?