Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992


The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted legislation and services. Information on this website may not reflect the current situation in Alberta. Please visit for up-to-date information about these impacts.

Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology

Certified Engineering Technologist

Certified engineering technologists (CETs) apply industry-recognized codes, standards, procedures and practices to solve problems within their technological areas of expertise. Depending on their duties supervision by a Professional Engineer / Geoscientist or Professional Technologist (Engineering / Geoscience) may be required.


The Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET)
1600, 9888 Jasper Ave.
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C6

Call: 780-425-0626
Toll-free in Alberta: 1-800-272-5619
Fax: 780-424-5053


Under Alberta’s Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act [pdf] and ASET Regulation [pdf], you must be a registered member of the Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET) to use the title Certified Engineering Technologist (CET). You do not have to be registered if you do not call yourself a Certified Engineering Technologist.

What You Need

Registration requires successful completion of:

  • an applied science, engineering or information technology program accredited at the technologist level by Technology Accreditation Canada (TAC) or equivalent
  • at least 2 years of acceptable technical experience
  • 3 professional references
  • completion of a competency report
  • successful completion of ASET’s Professional Practice Exam.

Other requirements may include:

  • ASET certification exam
  • proficiency in English
  • proof of legal entitlement to work in Canada.

For detailed official information about registration requirements, contact ASET.

Working in Alberta

Certified engineering technologists who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory body in another province may transfer to Alberta as a Certified Engineering Technologist or Applied Science Technologist if the two jurisdictions require similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the ASET website.

To learn about certification for internationally educated certified engineering technologists, see Electrical Engineering Technologist Certification Process and Mechanical Engineering Technologist Certification Process.

Was this page useful?