Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992


The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted legislation and services. Information on this website may not reflect the current situation in Alberta. Please visit for up-to-date information about these impacts.

Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology

Certified Technician

A Certified Technician (C.Tech.) is an applied science, information or engineering technology professional who performs routine technical procedures with occasional direct supervision. They also may assume limited responsibility for decision-making processes.


The Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET)
1600 - 9888 Jasper Ave.
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C6

Call: 780-425-0626
Toll-free in Alberta: 1-800-272-5619
Fax: 780-424-5053


Under Alberta’s Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act [pdf] and ASET Regulation [pdf], you must register as a member of the Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET) to use the title Certified Technician (C.Tech.). You do not have to be registered if you do not call yourself a Certified Technician.

What You Need

Registration requires:

  • Graduation from an applied science, information technology or engineering technology program or demonstration of academic equivalency
  • At least 2 years of acceptable technical experience within the last 5 years of practice
  • 3 professional references
  • Completion of a competency report
  • Successful completion of ASET’s Professional Practice Exam

Other requirements may include:

  • Demonstration of proficiency in English
  • Working or seeking work in Alberta or the Northwest Territories
  • Proof of legal entitlement to work in Canada

For detailed official information about registration requirements, contact ASET.

Working in Alberta

Certified Technicians who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory body in another province may transfer to Alberta if the two jurisdictions require similar responsibilities and competencies. To do this, they must complete a transfer form and pay the associated fee. For detailed information about transfer requirements, see ASET. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada?

To learn about the certification process for internationally educated certified technicians, see Mechanical Engineering Technician Certification Process.

Was this page useful?