Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology


Chemists conduct research, develop new or improved products and processes, and test and evaluate the composition, quality and safety of materials used by industry and the public.


Association of the Chemical Profession of Alberta
P.O. Box 21017
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada T6R 2V4
Phone number: 780-413-0004
Fax number: 780-413-0076



Professional Chemist is a protected title under Alberta's Professional and Occupational Associations Registration Act. This means that to call yourself a Professional Chemist, you must be a registered member of the Association of the Chemical Profession of Alberta (ACPA). You do not have to be registered if you do not call yourself a Professional Chemist.

What You Need

Registration as a Professional Chemist requires one of the following: (1) an acceptable bachelor's degree in chemical sciences and at least 24 months of relevant work experience, (2) successful completion of an approved examination and at least 60 months of acceptable work experience, or (3) an equivalent combination of academic qualifications and experience. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the ACPA website or contact the ACPA.

Working in Alberta

Chemists who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered chemists in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?