Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology

Community Planner

Community planners study the social, economic, political and physical conditions of urban and rural communities, and lead efforts to adapt to and manage forces that affect communities, regional landscapes and resources.


Alberta Professional Planners Institute
PO Box 309
Sherwood Park, Alberta  T8H 2T1

Call: 780-435-8716
Call toll-free: 1-888-286-8716
Fax number: 780-452-7718


Registered Professional Planner is a protected title under Alberta’s Professional and Occupational Associations Registration Act [pdf] and Professional Planner Regulation [pdf]. This means that to call yourself a Registered Professional Planner or RPP, you must be a certified and registered member of the Alberta Professional Planners Institute (APPI).

What You Need

For official, detailed information about registration requirements, contact the APPI.

Working in Alberta

Community planners who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered community planners in the two jurisdictions have equivalent    competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the APPI website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?