Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Legal, Education and Government Services

Court or Shorthand Reporter

Court or shorthand reporters write machine shorthand at a minimum speed of 225 words per minute to capture every word spoken. Computer technology instantly translates shorthand notes into English text that can be displayed or printed.


Alberta Shorthand Reporters Association
#309 17008 - 90 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada T5T 1L6

Call: 780- 446-8380


Under Alberta’s Professional and Occupational Associations Registration Act [pdf] and Alberta Shorthand Reporters Regulation [pdf], you must register as a member of the Alberta Shorthand Reporters Association (ASRA) to use the title of Certified Shorthand Reporter (Alberta) or the initials CSR(A).

You do not have to register if you do not call yourself a Certified Shorthand Reporter.

What You Need

To register as a Certified Shorthand Reporter (Alberta), you have 2 options.

The first option is to successfully complete approved examinations.

For the second option, you must apply to become a CSR(A) by:

  • Registering as a participating member of ASRA for at least 1 year immediately before applying
  • Successfully completing an approved education program or at least 5 years of work experience as a court reporter

For details about registration requirements, contact ASRA or visit the ASRA website.

Working in Alberta

Court or shorthand reporters who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if their scope of practice and competencies are similar.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the ASRA website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?