Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services

Dietitian/Registered Nutritionist

Dietitians assess nutritional status and develop, implement and evaluate food and nutrition strategies and interventions to promote health and treat illness; apply food and nutrition principles to the management of food service systems and to the development and analysis of food and food products; promote optimal health, food security and food safety through the development and delivery of food and nutrition education, programs and policies; teach, manage and conduct research in the science, techniques and practice of dietetics; and provide restricted activities authorized by the regulations.


College of Dietitians of Alberta
1320, 10123 - 99 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T5J 3H1
Phone number: 780-448-0059
Toll-free phone number: 1-866-493-4348
Fax number: 780-489-7759


Under Alberta's Health Professions Act and Registered Dietitians and Registered Nutritionists Profession Regulation, registration with the College of Dietitians of Alberta (CDA) is mandatory if you meet identified competency requirements and provide professional services directly to the public, provide food and nutrition professional services that are used by other regulated members and individuals to provide services directly to the public, teach the practice of the profession to members or students of the profession, or supervise registered members who provide services to the public. Registered members who are authorized by the College may perform restricted activities specified in the Regulation. Only registered members may use the protected titles Registered Dietitian, Registered Nutritionist or Dietitian, or the initials RD.

What You Need

Registration requires successful completion of: (1) an approved bachelor's or master's degree program in foods and nutrition, (2) an approved dietetic internship or practicum, and (3) the Canadian Dietetic Registration Examination (CRDE).

Working in Alberta

Dietitians who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered dietitians in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?