Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992


The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted legislation and services. Information on this website may not reflect the current situation in Alberta. Please visit for up-to-date information about these impacts.

Legal, Education and Government Services

Driving Instructor

Driving instructors teach the knowledge and skills required to safely operate vehicles such as cars, motorcycles, transport trucks and buses.


Driver Programs and Licensing Standards
Alberta Transportation
Room 109, 4999 - 98 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3
Phone: 780-427-8901
Fax: 780-427-0833
1st Floor, 803 Manning Road NE
Calgary, Alberta T2E 7M8
Phone: 403-297-6679
Fax: 403-297-8682


Under Alberta's Traffic Safety Act (PDF) and Driver Training and Driver Examination Regulation (PDF), driving instructors who teach people, other than their own employees, to drive must hold an instructor licence issued by the Government of Alberta and be employed by a driver training school. You cannot be both a driving instructor and a driver examiner.

What You Need

Applicants for driving instructor licences must:

  1. hold a Class 1-5 non-Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) operator's licence
  2. have a minimum of 3 years driving experience for the Class they will be instructing
  3. have an operator's licence that was not cancelled or suspended under the Criminal Code (Canada) during the 5 years immediately preceding the application
  4. have fewer than 7 demerits on their current driving record, and no operator licence suspensions that expired in the previous 2 years
  5. provide a recent criminal record check that is no more than 90 days old and acceptable to Government of Alberta
  6. have no outstanding fines or account balances with Alberta's Registry services
  7. be employed and trained by a licensed driving school
  8. pay applicable fees and service charges
  9. pass knowledge and on-road driver training exams administered by the Government of Alberta.
Working in Alberta

Driving instructors who are licensed by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for licensing in Alberta if instructors in the 2 jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory? and the Alberta regulatory organization below.

Was this page useful?