Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology


Professional engineers design, construct, evaluate, advise, monitor, and report on the performance of materials, equipment, systems, works, processes, and structures.


Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
Toll-free in North America: 1-800-661-7020

Head Office
1500 Tower One
10060 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4A2

Call: 780-426-3990
Fax: 780-426-1877

Calgary Office
Bow Valley Square 2, Suite 3700
205 - 5th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 2V7

Call: 403-262-7714


Under Alberta’s Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act [pdf] and Engineering and Geoscience Professions General Regulation [pdf], you must register as a member of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) to practice as a Professional Engineer or engage in the practice of engineering.

You do not have to register if you work under the direct supervision of a professional engineer and do not call yourself a Professional Engineer or use the word “engineer” in your job title.

What You Need

To register as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in Alberta, you need:

  • A 4-year bachelor’s degree in a recognized engineering program, or APEGA-approved equivalent
  • At least 4 years of acceptable work experience supervised by a professional engineer
  • At least 1 acceptable reference per work experience position
  • At least 3 acceptable validators
  • Successful completion of the National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE)
  • Canadian citizenship or permanent residency

There are 3 other membership types for engineers.

A professional licensee (engineering):

  • Can independently practise engineering within a defined scope of practice
  • Can use the protected title Professional Licensee (Engineering) or P.L. (Eng.)
  • Has met the educational and work experience requirements for a professional licensee

An engineering licensee:

  • Can independently practise engineering
  • Cannot use the APEGA protected titles
  • Has met all the requirements for a professional engineer, but is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident

An engineer-in-training:

  • Can practise engineering under the direct supervision of a professional engineer
  • Can use the title Engineer-in-Training (E.I.T.)
  • Has met the academic requirements but not the work experience requirements for professional engineer

For details about all registration requirements, contact APEGA or visit the APEGA website.

Working in Alberta

Engineers who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the APEGA website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?