Skip to the main content
Career Information Hotline

Toll Free 1-800-661-3753

Edmonton 780-422-4266

Guest Account Sign In Sign Up
Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology


Foresters plan, administer and direct programs related to managing forested lands and related renewable resources.


College of Alberta Professional Foresters
200, 10544 - 106 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T5H 2X6
Phone number: 780-432-1177
Fax number: 780-432-7046


Under the Regulated Forestry Profession Act and the Registered Professional Foresters Regulation, you must be registered with the College of Alberta Professional Foresters (CAPF) to use the protected titles reserved for regulated members (for example, Registered Professional Forester, Forester-In-Training). Registration is mandatory if you meet identified competency requirements and intend to practice forestry on public lands.

What You Need

Registration requires: (1) an approved four year bachelor's degree in forestry, or equivalent, (2) at least two years of suitable post graduate forestry work experience as a Forester-in-Training, or equivalent, and (3) successful completion of the College's professional examination on Alberta forest policy and legislation. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the CAPF website or contact the College directly.

Working in Alberta

Foresters who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered foresters in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

To find more information on the certification process for internationally educated foresters, see Foresters Registration Process on the website.

Was this page useful?