Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services

Hearing Aid Practitioner

Hearing aid practitioners examine and evaluate adult human hearing as it relates to hearing acuity, sensitivity and communication, and select and fit appropriate hearing instruments.


College of Hearing Aid Practitioners of Alberta
CHAPA Registrar
2308 62 St Camrose, AB  T4V 5J8                                                                                                                  

Toll-free phone number: 1-866-990-4327                                                                               




Under Alberta's Health Professions Act and Hearing Aid Practitioners Profession Regulation, registration with the College of Hearing Aid Practitioners of Alberta (CHAPA) is mandatory if you meet identified competency requirements and provide professional services directly to the public, teach the practice of the profession to members or students of the profession, or supervise registered members who provide services to the public. Registered members who are authorized by the College may perform restricted activities specified in the Regulation. Only registered members may call themselves Hearing Aid Practitioners.

What You Need

Applicants for registration as a Hearing Aid Practitioner must successfully complete an approved program of studies. Applicants who have been out of practice for a period of time also may have to demonstrate that they are currently competent to practice. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the CHAPA website or contact CHAPA.

Working in Alberta

Hearing aid practitioners who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered practitioners in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?