Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Apprenticeship / Trades

Heavy Equipment Technician

Heavy equipment technicians maintain, repair and overhaul heavy vehicles and industrial heavy equipment, and commercial transport devices connected to or moved by a power unit.

In Alberta, this trade includes multiple branches: heavy equipment technician, heavy duty equipment mechanic (off-road), transport trailer mechanic, and truck and transport mechanic. For more information, see the Designated Trades Profile section of Alberta’s Tradesecrets website.


Any of the Apprenticeship and Industry Training Client Service Offices located throughout Alberta. For a list of office locations and telephone numbers, click on “Contact Us” on the home page of the Tradesecrets website (


Under Alberta’s Skilled Trades and Apprenticeship Education Act [pdf], you must have a certificate that is recognized by Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training or be a registered apprentice to maintain, repair or overhaul towed or self-propelled heavy vehicles, industrial heavy equipment or commercial transport devices connected to or moved by a power unit.

What You Need

Terms of apprenticeship vary for each branch of the trade, ranging from 2 to 4 years (12 month periods). Each year includes a minimum number of hours of on-the-job training (1,500 to 1,800 hours) and includes 8 weeks of classroom instruction.

Apprentices must find suitable employers who are willing to hire and train apprentices.

Working in Alberta

Heavy equipment technicians from other provinces and territories can work in Alberta if they hold a certificate or license recognized by Alberta. For more information, see the Recognized Trade Certificates page of the Tradesecrets website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?