Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology

Home Inspector

Home inspectors visually examine residential dwellings and write reports about the condition of major components such as the roof, structure, exterior and insulation, and plumbing, electrical, heating and other systems.


Service Alberta
3rd Floor Commerce Place
10155 - 102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada T5J 4L4
Phone number: 780-427-4088
Toll-free phone number (within Alberta): 1-877-427-4088
Fax number: 780-427-3033


Under Alberta's Fair Trading Act and Home Inspection Business Regulation, home inspection businesses and individual home inspectors must be licensed by Service Alberta.

What You Need

To qualify for a licence, inspectors must have 1 of the following: (1) a degree, diploma or certificate in home inspection from an approved educational school and a successfully completed test inspection, (2) a Registered Home Inspector designation from the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (Alberta), (3) a Certified Master Inspector designation from the Master Inspector Certification Board Inc. or (4) an approved home inspection designation or licence from an approved industry association or regulatory body. For official, detailed information about licensing requirements, contact Service Alberta or visit their website.

Working in Alberta

Home inspectors who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory organization in British Columbia may be eligible for licensing in Alberta if registered home inspectors in the 2 jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory? and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

Was this page useful?