Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Other Occupations

Horse Racing Occupations

Horse racing occupations include all the occupations involved in participating or officiating horse races, or operating race tracks. For example, groom, jockey, standardbred driver, trainer and steward are some of the occupations in this group.


Horse Racing Alberta
Suite 720, 9707 110 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T5K 2L9
Phone number: 780-415-5432
Toll-free phone number (within Alberta): 1-888-553-7223
Fax number: 780-488-5105


Under Alberta's Horse Racing Alberta Act, you must be licensed by Horse Racing Alberta to operate a race track, be a race official or participate in horse racing.

What You Need

For official, detailed information about licensing requirements, contact Horse Racing Alberta or visit their website.

Working in Alberta

Grooms, jockeys, standardbred drivers, trainers and others involved in horse racing who are licensed by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for licensing in Alberta if licensed practitioners in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?