Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Other Occupations

Human Ecologist/Home Economist

Human ecologists and home economists develop, interpret, integrate and apply the principles of human ecology and home economics to enhance the quality of life of individuals and families. This includes advising individuals, families, organizations and communities, disseminating information, conducting research and planning, and conducting and evaluating related educational programs.


Alberta Human Ecology and Home Economics Association
17508 - 57 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T6M 1G7
Phone number: 780-914-6638
Fax number: 780-481-7448


Professional Human Ecologist and Professional Home Economist are protected titles under Alberta's Professional and Occupational Associations Registration Act and Human Ecologist and Home Economist Regulation. This means that to call yourself a Professional Human Ecologist or Professional Home Economist, you must be a registered member of the Alberta Human Ecology and Home Economics Association (AHEA). You do not have to be registered if you do not call yourself a Professional Human Ecologist or Professional Home Economist.

What You Need

Registration as a professional member of AHEA requires a degree in human ecology or home economics that includes the history, philosophy and ethics of professional practice, or an approved equivalent program, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the AHEA website or contact AHEA.

Working in Alberta

Human ecologists and home economists who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered practitioners in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory? and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?