Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Other Occupations

Hunting Guide and Outfitter-Guide

Hunting guides and outfitter-guides plan, organize and lead hunting trips, and ensure members of the group follow hunting regulations.


Alberta Professional Outfitters Society (APOS)
100, 3802 49 Ave NW
Stony Plain, Alberta  T7Z 2J7

Call: 780-414-0249
Fax: 780-465-6801


Under Alberta's Wildlife Act [pdf] and Wildlife Regulation [pdf], you must hold a guide (big game or bird game) designation or an outfitter-guide (big game or bird game) permit from the Alberta Professional Outfitters Society (APOS) to organize and lead hunting trips for pay or gain. Only outfitter-guide permit holders may hold game allocations or have contracts with non-resident clients for hunting in Alberta.

What You Need

All guides need to:

  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Be legally entitled to work in Canada
  • Pay all applicable fees

 For big game guides, they also need to be:

  • Recommended by an outfitter-guide the first year
  • An Alberta resident; OR a non-resident who is a Canadian citizen or is admitted to permanent residence in Canada

 For outfitter-guides, they also need to:

  • Fill out an outfitting permit application form
  • Provide evidence of a minimum deposit indemnity bond of $10,000 for contracted clients
  • Provide evidence of a minimum general liability insurance of $5 million
  • Hold a big game guide’s designation
  • Be an Alberta resident; OR be a non-resident who is a Canadian citizen or has been admitted to permanent residence in Canada; OR be a business corporation or society where at least one current officer is an individual described above

For detailed official information about current requirements, contact APOS.

Working in Alberta

Guides and outfitters who are licensed by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for licensing in Alberta if guides and outfitters in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the APOS website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?