Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Business, Finance and Real Estate

Insurance Adjuster

Insurance adjusters investigate insurance claims on behalf of insurers or individuals. They recommend whether to pay benefits from insurance policies, and negotiate payments and settlements.


Alberta Insurance Council
Call: 1-800-461-3367

Calgary Office
1430 308 4th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 0H7

Call: 403-233-2929
Fax: 403-233-2990

Edmonton Office
2700 10180 101 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3S4

Call: 780-421-4148
Fax: 780-425-5745


Under Alberta’s Insurance Act [pdf] and Insurance Agents and Adjusters Regulation [pdf], you must be licensed by the Alberta Insurance Council (AIC) to work as an independent insurance adjuster in Alberta.

What You Need

Alberta offers 3 levels of insurance adjuster licences. Adjuster Level 1 and Level 2 licensees must work under the direct supervision of an Adjuster Level 3 licensee. Adjuster Level 3 licensees can work without supervision.

To apply for any level, applicants must:

  • Submit a security clearance document
  • Be recommended by an authorized person
  • Carry errors and omissions insurance

In addition, each level has specific qualifications.

Adjuster Level 1 applicants must pass the Adjuster Level 1 exam.

Adjuster Level 2 applicants must:

Adjuster Level 3 applicants must:

  • Meet Adjuster Level 2 requirements
  • Hold an appropriate professional designation from IIC
  • Successfully complete specified IIC courses
  • Have acted as an adjuster for at least 60 months within 10 years prior to application

For details about licensing requirements, contact AIC or visit the AIC website.

Working in Alberta

Insurance adjusters who are licensed by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for licensing in Alberta if their scope of practice and competencies are similar.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the AIC website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?