Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Business, Finance and Real Estate

Land Agent

Land agents negotiate with landowners to acquire surface rights agreements. They negotiate rights-of-way for well sites, pipelines, power lines, coalmines, roadways, cell towers, wind and solar installations, road easements, and other surface uses.


Land Agents Licensing
Government of Alberta
3rd Floor, Labour Building
10808 99 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 0G5

Call: 780-415-4600
Call toll-free (within Alberta): 310-0000, then 780-415-4600
Fax number: 780-422-7173


Under Alberta’s Land Agents Licensing Act [pdf] and Land Agents Licensing Regulation [pdf], you must be a licensed land agent to:

  • Negotiate agreements with landowners to acquire certain surface interests in Alberta (unless exempted as set out in the Act and Regulation)
  • Act as a Land Agent or advertise yourself a Land Agent

What You Need

To obtain an interim land agent licence, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have entered into a training agreement
  • Have completed at least 2 years of post-secondary education that is relevant to the activities of a land agent
  • Successfully complete an examination

To obtain a permanent land agent licence, you must:

  • Have held an interim land agent license for a minimum of 12 consecutive months
  • Have completed the legislated practice requirements
  • Successfully complete an examination

For official, detailed information about licensing requirements, visit the Government of Alberta website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?