Skip to the main content
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Guest Account Sign In Sign Up
Health and Social Services

Medical Laboratory Technologist

Medical laboratory technologists collect and analyze biological samples, perform quality control procedures and communicate results that have been critically evaluated to ensure accuracy and reliability, and teach, manage and conduct research in the science and techniques of medical laboratory technology.


College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Alberta
301, 9426 - 51 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T6E 5A6
Phone: 780-435-5452
Toll-free phone number: 1-800-265-9351
Fax number: 780-437-1442


Under Alberta's Health Professions Act and Medical Laboratory Technologists Profession Regulation, registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Alberta (CMLTA) is mandatory if you meet identified registration requirements and conduct laboratory tests that are used by other regulated members to provide professional services directly to the public, teach the practice of the profession to members or students of the profession, or supervise registered members who provide services to the public. Only registered members may call themselves Medical Laboratory Technologists.

What You Need

Medical laboratory technologists may be registered as a General MLT, Diagnostic Cytology MLT or Clinical Genetics MLT depending on their education and the corresponding national certification exam. Registration requires successful completion of: (1) an approved two year diploma or bachelor's degree program in medical laboratory science, and (2) an approved examination. Applicants who have been out of practice for a period of time also may have to demonstrate that they are currently competent to practice. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the CMLTA website. For certification information, visit the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science website.

Working in Alberta

Medical laboratory technologists who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered practitioners in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory? and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

To find more information on the certification process for internationally educated medical laboratory technologists, see Medical Laboratory Technologist Registration Process on the website.

Was this page useful?