Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Business, Finance and Real Estate

Mortgage Broker

Mortgage brokers facilitate mortgage transactions between borrowers and lenders. They negotiate with lenders to get suitable mortgage terms for their customers.


Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA)
202 - 1506 11 Ave. SW
Calgary, Alberta T3C 0M9

Call: 403-228-2954
Call toll-free: 1-888-425-2754
Fax: 403-228-3065


Under Alberta’s Real Estate Act [pdf] and Real Estate Exemption Regulation [pdf], you must hold a mortgage licence from the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) to deal in mortgages.

What You Need

There are 2 classes of mortgage licences:

  • Mortgage associate
  • Mortgage broker

To apply for a mortgage associate licence, applicants must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent
  • Demonstrate English proficiency
  • Complete the Mortgage Associates Program (MAP)
  • Provide a certified criminal record check
  • Be hired by a licensed mortgage brokerage as an employee or independent contractor

MAP consists of 2 courses:

  • Fundamentals of Mortgage Brokerage
  • Practice of Mortgage Brokerage

To apply for a mortgage broker licence, applicants must:

  • Complete the Mortgage Brokers Program
  • Have at least 2 years of licensed work experience within the last 5 years

For official, detailed information about requirements, visit the RECA website.

Working in Alberta

Mortgage brokers who are certified by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for certification in Alberta.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the RECA website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?