Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services

Occupational Therapist

Occupational therapists enable people who experience obstacles (due to impairment of body structure, a change in function, or barriers in the social and physical environment) to participate in the activities of everyday life.


Alberta College of Occupational Therapists (ACOT)
312, 8925 – 51 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T6E 5J3

Call: 780-436-8381
Toll-free within Alberta: 1-800-561-5429
Fax: 780-434-0658


Under Alberta's Health Professions Act and Occupational Therapists Profession Regulation, only regulated members of the Alberta College of Occupational Therapists (ACOT) may call themselves occupational therapists. Regulated members provide health services listed in Schedule 15 of the Health Professions Act.

What You Need

Registration requires successful completion of: (1) an approved occupational therapy degree program, (2) 1,000 hours of supervised clinical practice, and (3) an approved certification examination. Applicants who have been out of practice for a period of time also may have to demonstrate that they are currently competent to practice. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the ACOT website or contact ACOT.

Working in Alberta

Occupational therapists registered by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered occupational therapists in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?