Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services

Physician, Surgeon and Osteopath

Physicians and surgeons assess the physical, mental and psychosocial condition of individuals to establish a diagnosis; assist individuals to make informed choices about medical and surgical treatments; treat physical, mental and psychosocial conditions; promote wellness, injury avoidance, disease prevention and cure through research and education; and engage in research, education and administration with respect to health. Osteopaths use manual techniques to assess, diagnose and treat diseases, disorders and dysfunctions of the body's structure.


College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta
2700, 10020 - 100 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T5J 0N3
Phone number: 780-423-4764
Toll-free phone number (within Alberta): 1-800-561-3899
Fax number: 780-420-0651


Under Alberta's Health Professions Act and Physicians, Surgeons and Osteopaths Profession Regulation, you must be a registered member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta (CPSA) to practice medicine in Alberta.

What You Need

Registration requires successful completion of: (1) an approved medical doctor or doctor of osteopathic medicine degree, (2) two years of acceptable post-graduate training in family medicine or four or more years of acceptable post-graduate training in a specialization, and (3) approved examinations. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the CPSA website or contact CPSA.

Working in Alberta

Physicians, surgeons and osteopaths who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered physicians, surgeons and osteopaths in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?