Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services

Physiotherapist or Physical Therapist

Physiotherapists assess physical function, and diagnose and treat dysfunction caused by a pain, injury, disease or condition to develop, maintain and maximize independence and prevent dysfunction.


College of Physical Therapists of Alberta
Suite 300, 10357 109 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T5J 1N3
Phone number: 780-438-0338
Toll-free phone number (within North America): 1-800-291-2782
Fax number: 780-436-1908


Under Alberta's Health Professions Act and Physical Therapists Professional Regulation, only registered members of the Physiotherapy Alberta - College + Association may call themselves Physiotherapists, Physical Therapists or PTs.

What You Need

Registration requires successful completion of: (1) an approved program of studies in physiotherapy and (2) an approved examination. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the CPTA website or contact the CPTA.

Working in Alberta

Physiotherapists who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered physiotherapists in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

To learn about certification for internationally educated physiotherapists or physical therapists, see Physical Therapist/Physiotherapist Registration Process.

Was this page useful?