Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992


The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted legislation and services. Information on this website may not reflect the current situation in Alberta. Please visit for up-to-date information about these impacts.

Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology

Power Engineer

Power engineers supervise, operate and maintain power plants, heating plants and thermal liquid heating systems. They also may sketch, construct, install, repair or provide advice regarding power or heating plants.


Alberta Boilers Safety Association
9410 20th Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada T6N 0A4
Phone number: 780-437-9100
Fax number: 780-437-7787


Under Alberta's Safety Codes Act and Power Engineers Regulation, you must hold an appropriate certificate from the Alberta Boilers Safety Association (ABSA) to supervise a power plant, heating plant or thermal heating system. Different types of certificates are required to operate and maintain different types of boilers. Certification is not required to assist in the operation of a power or heating plant under the supervision of a certified Power Engineer.

What You Need

There are 5 standardized levels of certification, advancing from 5th Class certificate to 1st Class certificate. Each level of certification has different training and employment experience requirements. There also are 4 provincial levels of certification: Special Oilwell Operator, Special Boiler Operator, Special Steam-powered Traction Engine Operator and Fired Process Heater Operator. In addition to work experience, completion of an approved course normally is required to challenge 4th and 5th Class Certificate of Competency examinations. For official, detailed information about certification requirements, visit the ABSA website.

Working in Alberta

Power engineers who are certified by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for certification in Alberta if certified power engineers in the 2 jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory? and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

To learn about certification for internationally educated power engineers, see Power Engineer Certification Process.

Was this page useful?