Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Legal, Education and Government Services

Professional Investigator

Professional investigators gather information to secure evidence relating to a wide range of private, corporate, and legal interests.


Security Programs
Alberta Justice
P.O. Box 1023 Station Main
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2M1

Call: 1-877-462-0791


Under Alberta’s Security Services and Investigators Act [pdf], Security Services and Investigators Regulation [pdf] and Security Services and Investigators (Ministerial) Regulation [pdf], you must be licensed by the Government of Alberta to conduct surveillance activities or seek information about:

  • Crimes, misconduct, or allegations
  • Causes of accidents, injury, or damage
  • The activities or reputation of a person
  • The location of property or whereabouts of a person

What You Need

To be licensed as a professional investigator in Alberta, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be a Canadian citizen or legally entitled to work in Canada
  • Be fluent in spoken English
  • Be competent and of good character and not the subject of a criminal investigation
  • Have no serious criminal record or outstanding criminal charge
  • Successfully complete training and examination requirements

For details about licensing requirements, visit the Government of Alberta website.

Working in Alberta

Professional investigators who are licensed and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for licensing in Alberta if their scope of practice and competencies are similar.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the Government of Alberta website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?