Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992


The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted legislation and services. Information on this website may not reflect the current situation in Alberta. Please visit for up-to-date information about these impacts.

Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology

Professional Licensee (Engineering or Geoscience)

Professional Licensees (Engineering or Geoscience) are licensed to independently practice engineering, geology or geophysics in Alberta within a clearly defined scope of practice.


Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta
1500 Scotia One, 10060 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T5J 4A2
Phone number: 780-426-3990
Toll-free phone number (within North America): 1-800-661-7020
Fax: 780-426-1877


Under Alberta's Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act, you must be registered as a Professional Licensee (Engineering) or Professional Licensee (Geoscience) by the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) to practice within a defined scope of practice or use the title Professional Licensee (Engineering) or Professional Licensee (Geoscience).

What You Need

Applicants for registration must: (1) have at least two years of post-secondary education acceptable to the APEGA Board of Examiners, (2) have at least six years of acceptable experience in areas that relate to engineering, geology or geophysics, at least two years of which are in the defined scope of practice and were completed under the supervision and control of a Professional Member, and (3) pass an exam. For official, detailed information, visit the APEGA website or contact APEGA.

Working in Alberta

Licensees who are certified by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for certification in Alberta if professional licensees in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

Was this page useful?