Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services

Social Worker

Social workers help individuals, families, groups, communities, and organizations develop skills and resources. Their goal is to enhance social functioning and social environments.


Alberta College of Social Workers
100 - 13220 St. Albert Trail
Edmonton, Alberta T5L 4W1

Call: 780-421-1167
Toll-free in Alberta: 1-800-661-3089
Fax: 780-421-1168


Under Alberta’s Health Professions Act [pdf] and the Social Workers Profession Regulation [pdf], social workers must meet identified educational requirements and register with the Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW). Registration is necessary if you wish to provide professional services directly to the public, teach social work practice to ACSW members or social work students, or supervise registered members who provide services to the public. The College authorizes some registered members to perform restricted activities defined in the Regulation. Only registered members may use the protected titles Social Worker or Registered Social Worker. To use the protected title Clinical Social Worker, registered members must meet additional requirements.

What You Need

Registration as a Social Worker requires a diploma or degree from an approved social work program. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the ACSW website.

Working in Alberta

Social workers who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible to register in Alberta if the 2 jurisdictions require similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the ACSW website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?