Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992


The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted legislation and services. Information on this website may not reflect the current situation in Alberta. Please visit for up-to-date information about these impacts.

Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology

Timber Scaler

Timber scalers measure logs or trees to determine the total volume and inspect logs for defects to estimate their usable content. Scalers may measure individual logs or decks of tree length timber.


Forest Management Branch
Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development
7th Floor, 9920 - 108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta 
Canada  T5K 2M4
Phone number: 780-422-5239
Toll-free phone number (within Alberta): 310-0000
Fax number: 780-427-0075


Under Alberta's Forests Act and Scaling Regulation, scalers who provide harvest information to Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development must follow procedures set out in the Regulation and hold a valid scaler's permit. There are two types of scaler's permit: scaler (full) and scaler (modified tree length).

What You Need

Certification for a modified tree length permit requires successful completion of a one day course and exam.

Certification for a full permit requires successful completion of a 30 hour course and an exam.

Scalers must be recertified every five years. For official, detailed information about certification requirements, contact Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development or visit their website.

Working in Alberta

Timber scalers who are certified by and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for certification in Alberta if certified timber scalers in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

Was this page useful?