Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology

Water and Wastewater Operator

Water and wastewater operators monitor and operate control systems and equipment in water and wastewater treatment plants, and water distribution and wastewater collection systems.


Alberta Environment and Parks
10th Floor, Oxbridge Place
9820 - 106 Street
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2J6
Phone number: 780-427-7713
Toll-free phone number (within Alberta): 310-0000
Fax number: 780-427-5204


Under Alberta's Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, Potable Water Regulation and Wastewater and Storm Drainage (Ministerial) Regulation, water and wastewater systems must be supervised by operators who are certified by Alberta Environment and Parks. The approval or registration for each facility specifies operator requirements.

What You Need

There are five certification levels for water and wastewater system operators: small systems, level one, level two, level three and level four. Each level has different education, work experience and examination requirements. For example, level one certification requires: (1) a high school diploma, (2) one year of related experience, and (3) successful completion of a training course and exam. Post-secondary education or equivalent is required for level three and four certification. For detailed, official information, see Alberta Environment and Park's Facility operator certification webpage or contact Alberta Environment and Parks.

Working in Alberta

Water and wastewater facility operators who are certified by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for certification in Alberta if certified operators in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority. (above)

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?