Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Education & Training

Funding Graduate School

There are several resources available to help fund your graduate studies.

These include:

  • Federal, provincial, and university fellowships, grants, and scholarships
  • Teaching and research assistantships
  • Needs-based financial aid

Fellowships and scholarships

Federal and provincial fellowships and scholarships

International fellowship and scholarship opportunities

Additional fellowships and scholarships

University funding

Most universities provide various awards and funding to graduate students. Be sure to check with your university and department to inquire about available funding in your program of study.

Awards at Alberta universities

Research assistants

Professors may use a portion of their research grant to employ graduate students as research assistants or to support students as they work on their own research.


Professors may receive research funding that can be paid to graduate students to support their research in the same area.

Teaching assistants

Teaching assistant (TA) positions at each department and university vary, but in most cases a TA position will help you gain teaching experience, build relationships with faculty and students and earn additional money while attending school.

Student loans and bursaries (needs-based funding)

Alberta Student Aid and the Canada Student Grants and Loans provide financial assistance for eligible students.

Was this page useful?