The websites of industry associations, professional associations and unions offer a wealth of useful information. Browse these websites to stay up to date with current activities and trends.
Use the members’ links in online directories to contact employers directly. Or search for leads on finding work.
Here’s an example:
- A graphic designer who is browsing an online industry newsletter finds an item about a colleague who has started up a consulting business. The designer realizes there might be a position open in the company where her colleague used to work. She calls a contact in the company to ask about a possible opening.
Industry or sector association websites will keep you up to date with current activities and trends.
- Check out Alberta industry associations at this Alberta government directory.
- Visit this Alberta industry website and choose a sector (for example, oil and gas) from the menu.
- Visit the Industry Canada website and search by industry.
Professional association websites include news items relevant to their members. Some also offer networking services and job postings.
- Find Alberta professional associations at this Alberta government directory.
- Check out Certification Requirements at OCCinfo to download web listings of associations that regulate professions and trades in Alberta.
- Check out this directory of professional association websites. View the national list, then the Alberta list. You may have to register to access the news sources.
Union websites post news articles, job openings and other information for their members.
- If you know the union’s name, you can search on the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada website.
- Visit the Alberta Building Trades Council website to connect with an Alberta construction trade union