Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Legal, Education and Government Services

Local Government Manager

Local government managers administer the affairs of municipalities including cities, towns, villages, summer villages, municipal districts and specialized municipalities.


Society of Local Government Managers
PO Box 308
4629 - 54 Ave.
Bruderheim, Alberta  T0B 0S0
Phone: 780-796-3836
Fax: 780-796-2081


Certified Local Government Manager (CLGM) is a protected title under Alberta's Professional and Occupational Associations Registration Act (PDF). To call yourself a Certified Local Government Manager, you must be a registered member of the Society of Local Government Managers (SLGM). You do not have to be registered if you do not call yourself a Certified Local Government Manager.

What You Need

Registration requires:

  • completion of the Local Government Certificate Program and the National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration Level II from the University of Alberta, or equivalency as approved by the Examination Board in Local Government Management
  • at least 5 years of experience in local government management in Canada.

For detailed official information about registration requirements, contact the regulatory organization below.

Working in Alberta

Local government managers who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if certified managers in the 2 jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory? and the Alberta regulatory organization below.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?