Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Education & Training

Education FAQs

I'm not sure what I want to do when I graduate. Where do I start?Answer

To find a career path that fits, you need to start by getting to know yourself. Our self-assessment quizzes will help you take the first step.

How can I get my high school transcripts?Answer

There are multiple ways to get a transcript. You can request a transcript online, by mail or in person. You cannot request your transcript by phone.

I don't think I'll have enough money to go to university or college. How can I pay for my education?Answer

Find out how to pay for your education by using student loans, scholarships, bursaries and other awards.

How can I increase my chances of getting scholarships to help pay for my education?Answer

If you are a resident of Alberta and a high school graduate or a post-secondary student, you may be eligible to apply for scholarships and bursaries

Will the credits for courses I've completed at 1 post-secondary school be transferable to another school?Answer

Go to Transfer Alberta for information on course and program transfer agreements between many of Alberta's post-secondary schools. 

How do I apply for college or university?Answer

Apply online to the post-secondary school you want to attend.

What requirements do I need to meet in order to enter a post-secondary programs or school?Answer

Go to OCCinfo for information on post-secondary programs and schools in Alberta and distance learning programs available in Western Canada, including admission requirements, application deadlines and more.

How can I get funding for training to help me take the next step in my career?Answer

Check out the Funding for Training page to find out about funding for full-time and part-time training for work. 

How can I find out what it's really like to be a post-secondary student?Answer

Ask your teacher to get a Learning Clicks Ambassador to come to your class to talk about going to college, university or technical school. 

Does alis have anything to help students with disabilities interested in post-secondary?Answer

Find videos and planning guides for students with disabilities, their parents, educators and other professionals.

I'm still in high school. How can I find a job doing what I like?Answer

Watch the Youth Reflections videos to find out how other teens are connecting their hobbies to interesting career and learning paths. 

How can I find out about distance education?Answer

Check out the Distance Learning page that includes links to distance education programs throughout Canada. 

How do I apply for student loans?Answer

Find out what to do before you apply and how to apply for student loans online.

I'm a part-time student. Can I get student loans?Answer

Learn about eligibility requirements and sources for part-time funding through student loans.  

How can I find scholarships?Answer

Search our scholarship databases in the Scholarship & Bursaries section. 

As an indigenous student, what should I know about paying for post-secondary?Answer

With a bit of planning, you will likely be able to pay for your education using some of the many financial resources out there.

Also visit Learning Clicks to learn about Indigenous workshops.

I am interested in apprenticeship. What do I do?Answer

Decide which trade you are most interested in through workshops and research. Read the occupational profiles that are apprenticeship specific or you can view them on the tradesecrets website. The tradesecrets website has a wealth of additional information on apprenticeship programs in Alberta.

I am an 18 year old who has just graduated from high school and I have no idea what I want to do with my life?Answer

Access career and employment services at any of the Alberta Works Centres throughout the province. Career and Employment Consultants are available at these offices to help youth prepare for and find work. The CAREERinsite website can also start you on a path to discovering your strengths and exploring possible careers. 

Where is the educational program being offered that I want to study?Answer

Check out the educational program information at OCCinfo. Search by program and school name for courses in Western Canada (distance and non-distance).

Also at OCCinfo, find occupational profiles, each of which has a section about education requirements that lists educational options available to enter a particular occupation.

Where can I get information about scholarships and grants to attend school?Answer

Talk to the Student Awards Office at the educational institution you will be attending to find out about awards specific to their educational institution, faculties and or departments.

Or visit the scholarships or loans and grants pages.

Can I take my program through distance education?Answer

Obtaining an education via distance learning is becoming very popular. Search through the educational program information at OCCinfo to find out if your program is offered via distance education (limited to programs in Western Canada.) You could also check colleges and universities individually for their distance education courses.

What supports are available for international students?Answer

The following websites provide information for students from other countries:

I'm receiving EI benefits and I'm interested in retraining. How do I access training benefits?Answer

Employment Insurance training benefits may be available if you need to upgrade your skills to get new employment. At your local Alberta Works Centre, a Career and Employment Consultant can help determine whether you are eligible for training benefits.

In some centres, you may be referred to an agency to complete a questionnaire and assessment. Your training application may not be approved. If not, you will be offered other options.

Was this page useful?