Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Guest Account Sign In Sign Up Search
Health and Social Services

Nurse Practitioner

Nurse practitioners are registered nurses who have advanced training in health assessment, health promotion and illness prevention. They diagnose and treat health problems, order and interpret tests, and prescribe drugs.


College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta
11620 - 168 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T5M 4A6
Phone number: 780-451-0043
Toll-free phone number: 1-800-252-9392
Fax number: 780-452-3276


Under Alberta's Health Professions Act and Registered Nurses Profession Regulation, only members of the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA) on the nurse practitioner register may call themselves or practice as a Nurse Practitioner or NP.

What You Need

Nurse practitioners must: (1) be registered nurses in Alberta, (2) have completed a bachelor's degree in nursing, (3) have completed a recognized nurse practitioner program, (4) have 4,500 hours of experience as a registered nurse, and (5) pass the national nurse practitioner registered nurses examination. Nurse practitioners who do not meet these criteria may apply and be assessed under a Substantial Equivalent Competence process. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the CARNA website or contact CARNA.

Working in Alberta

Nurse practitioners who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada (except Quebec) are eligible for registration in Alberta if their scope of practice and competencies are similar. Applications from Quebec will be assessed individually.

Was this page useful?