Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services

Nurse - Registered

Registered nurses provide professional nursing services, deliver health-education programs, and provide consultative nursing services to promote, maintain, and restore client health.


College of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CRNA)
11120 - 178th Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta  T5S 1P2

Call: 780-451-0043
Toll-free: 1-800-252-9392
Fax: 780-452-3276



Under Alberta’s Health Professions Act [pdf], Health Professions Restricted Activity Regulation [pdf], and Registered Nurses Profession Regulation [pdf], registration with the College of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CRNA) is mandatory. Only registrants with an active practice permit may provide restricted activities specified in the Regulations. This includes those who:

  • Meet identified competency requirements and provide professional services directly to the public
  • Teach the practice of the profession to members or students of the profession
  • Supervise registered members
  • Provide services to the public in their capacity as nursing students
  • Use the title Registered Nurse or the initials RN

What You Need

To become a registered nurse (RN) in Alberta, you must successfully complete:

Applicants who have been out of practice for a period may have to demonstrate that they are currently competent to practice.

Once registered, individuals may apply for an annual practice permit. To keep the permit active they must meet annual currency of practice and continuing competence requirements.

There are other registration categories for nurses.

A graduate nurse registered on the provisional register:

  • Has met the academic requirements but has not yet completed the exam or jurisprudence requirements
  • Must work under supervision and other conditions
  • Can use the title graduate nurse or the initials GN

For details about all registration requirements, contact CRNA or visit the CRNA website.

Working in Alberta

Registered nurses who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the CRNA website.

Internationally educated registered nurses can apply through the CRNA Substantial Equivalence Applicants pathway.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?