Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Other Occupations

Private Sewage Systems Installer

Private sewage systems installers install on-site private sewage systems that handle less than 25 cubic metres (5,500 Imperial gallons) of sewage a day.


Technical and Corporate Services
Government of Alberta
16th Floor, Commerce Place
10155 - 102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada T5J 4L4

Call: 780-644-1010
Call toll-free (within Canada): 1-866-421-6929
Fax: 780-427-8686


Under Alberta’s Safety Codes Act [pdf] and Permit Regulation [pdf], you must hold a Certificate of Competency by the Government of Alberta to obtain a permit to install a private sewage disposal system.



What You Need

There are 2 certificates offered in Alberta for private sewage system installers:

  • Private Sewage Certificate to obtain permits for the installation of all types of private sewage disposal systems
  • Restricted Private Sewage Certificate to obtain permits only for the installation of holding tank type systems

To hold the Private Sewage Certificate:

The Government of Alberta currently recognizes one training provider, the Alberta Onsite Wastewater Management Association (AOWMA).

You must renew the Private Sewage Certificate when the Alberta Private Sewage System Standard of Practice (SOP) changes. It is usually updated on a 5-year cycle. To renew, complete recognized up-date training on the SOP.

To hold the Restricted Private Sewage Certificate, submit for approval an Installer Application for Certificate of Competency in restricted private sewage.

The Restricted Private Sewage Certificate does not need to be renewed.

For details about certification requirements, see the Government of Alberta website.

Working in Alberta

Private sewage system installers who are in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for certification in Alberta. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the Government of Alberta website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?